Thursday 3 November 2011

Curry recipe :)

Hi everyone!

So last night I made a curry for my boyfriend's and mine tea. It was meant to be a tikka masala, but it was extremely different to those you would get from the take away haha! I've taken lots of photos, so I'll give you the recipe step by step! the only thing I would recommend is to buy the spices separately, as there was one spice in there (I think it's called cilantro) that tastes like soap! It's not too pleasant, so watch out for it.

I started off by chopping up 3/4 of an onion in to small chunks. The recipe said 1 whole onion, but my boyfriend's not the biggest fan of onion, and it was a rather large onion! I then heated up some oil in a curry pan with a copper base (this can be done in a wok or just a big pan)  and put the onions in for 4 or 5 mins, until they were softened. This is the oil I used:
And these are the onions in the pan:
Then I added in the packet of spices. It was a 'Schwartz flavourful Tikka Masala recipe mix with toasted spices' and the packet looked like this (sorry it's a bit fuzzy):
Then I mixed up the onions and the spices, leaving the spices to cook for 30 seconds to release the flavour:
Then I added the chopped tomatoes:

Then I added in 3 breasts of chicken (this was enough for just over 3 people - possibly 4 people.
I also added, as an extra, a tin of peeled new potatoes, and a tin of peas:


Then I boiled it for a couple of minutes, then turned it down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
In the meantime, I boiled the rice! I did 153g of rice (was supposed to be 150g, but I wasn't taking 3g of rice out haha) Just until it was ready really, mine was a bit overcooked as the end part of the curry took longer than expected, so I would advise you to do the rice just before the next step of the curry:


Finally, I then put 300ml of semi-skimmed milk in the curry. It said to boil it for 5 minutes, but I found that it made the curry extremely runny so I boiled it for an awful lot longer, possibly another 10-15 minutes, and the consistency was still quite runny. 


And that is my final curry! It was extremely yummy (except the annoying soapy cilantro bits) so I definitely recommend it, also it was only 3 1/2 syns for the whole curry! How amazing is that! So obviously I didn't even have a 1/3 so was a whole, extremely filling meal, for around 2 syns (I always round up just incase!). Next time I'm going to buy my own spices to make it from :)

I hope you found this interesting, let me know! If it was full-on boring, let me know too!
Follow me on @CharlMathews on twitter, and subscribe if you enjoy :)
Lots of Love,
Fat Girl
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment