Wednesday 2 November 2011

Recipes No.1 - Yum Yum!



Hey everyone!


So I've decided to do today a few recipes for you guys. If you have read any of my other blog posts, then you will know that I am just starting my 2nd week of Slimming World. I go to the meeting on Monday nights at 7.30pm at the Boot&Shoe, in the Faulkner Suite, and my leader  Lisa is absolutely lovely. I've already had about 4 emails from her checking up on me, when before I've found leaders are not bothered about you and just want to get you in and out the door, she is so caring!


Anyway, I joined the site on Facebook (or like it or whatever you call it nowadays) and she is absolutely amazing at posting recipes and ideas, so I just thought I'd share a few of my favourite with you, and if you like it then I'll post some more!


BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM
So my first is the recipe of the Slimming World version of Baileys (the alcoholic irish whiskey cream drink). I absolutely ADORE Baileys, but a 25ml glass of original Bailey's is  81.75 kcal (that's 8 Syns to us on Slimming World, and we're only allowed between 5 and 15 a day!! That doesn't even warrant 2 glasses!). So drinking the original one is a bit of a no-no, or just for a very occasional treat. Here is the Slimming World recipe for Baileys (Makes about 1 litre ):

Ingredients: 
1 tin light condensed Milk (397g size)
1 Pint Elmlea Cream
6 Medium eggs
1 tablespoon Camp Coffee 
Whiskey to tast (approx 200ml)


Instructions:

Whisk eggs in large bowl. Add condensed milk and whisk again. Add cream, coffee and whisk again. Add whisky and give a final whisk. Bottle and out in fridge - will keep for up to 6 weeks.





This equates to only 2 syns per 25ml, so that means you can four of these for the same syns as one of the original glasses! I haven't made this yet, and this is because I have a bit of a reservation about putting raw eggs in the drink. I can't decide whether to leave out the eggs, as normal Baileys does not even have any traces of egg in it, or whether to put them in and I won't be able to tell.... It's not the fact that it's 'raw egg', it's just the texture of it makes me want to throw up a little bit. Anyway, let me know if you make it, and if you include the egg, but this is about a quarter of the calories than the original, so around 20kcal!


SPICY SLOW COOKED PORK
My next recipe is spicy slow cooked pork. I'm always eating chicken, so it's nice to have a change with something like pork! This even sounds yummy, and for those of us at Slimming World, there are NO SYNS, yes I repeat this is a FREE MEAL. How exciting!

Ingredients:

2 leeks, sliced 
170g/6oz button mushrooms 
250ml chicken stock 
1 carrot, peeled and sliced 
2 garlic cloves, chopped 
1 can chopped tomatoes 
1 tbsp paprika 
½ tbsp smoked paprika 
1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
Fry Light (or any 1kcal spray oil)
701g/1lb 9oz lean braising pork, cut into 2.5cm cubes/1in pieces

Instructions:1. Heat a frying pan and spray with a little Fry Light. Brown the pork in batches for about 5 minutes until golden all over. 
2. Place the leeks, carrot, mushrooms, garlic, chicken stock, tomatoes, paprika and chilli in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. 
3. Transfer into the slow-cooker and pour over the contents of the saucepan. Cover with the lid and cook on 'high' for 5-6 hours or until the pork is tender. 
4. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with rice and vegetables. Yummmmmy!!  


Now that sounds delicious, but the only problem is not everyone has a slow cooker (I only have one when I'm at home, not at uni, and I'm a poor lowly student and can't afford anything like that!) So I'm going to try it at uni a different way, and if it is a success, I shall definitely let you know!


TOP TIP ALERT!
My last snippet of information is going to be a Top Tip! Now, I read this, and being a student teacher, I always find it difficult to have cold lunches, especially in the winter months, as when you look in your lunch box and have a little salad, or a cold mushed up sandwich (maybe just the mushed up bit just applies to me...) it doesn't fill you with joy, and although food shouldn't be your only joy, it is a big exciting thing for me, so if I'm going to eat healthy, I also want it to be exciting. 


The Top Tip! is to dust off those flasks! OK so I know many people don't have flasks, but they're so cheap. In fact when I last did a car boot, we were selling some massive flasks for around 50p, so they're really cheap and easy to pick up, but just remember to check that they do up properly, and don't have a dodgy cap, otherwise they're useless! There are so many things you can put in your flasks, and they keep warm for an interesting lunch:
Instant noodles
Savoury rice
Pasta ‘n’ sauce
Canned ravioli, baked beans and spaghetti hoops. As long as the chunky bits will go in and come out easily it’s perfect for a flask!
Homemade chilli con carne
Your favourite homemade stew

And of course, any soup, home made or tinned.


So I hope these recipes and tips helped you out! I know they've definitely given me some food for thought (hey did you like my little joke there?!)


Anyway, hope you had a lovely Halloween! And just read this poem next time you want to scoff down some food without even thinking about it:


I eat when I'm happy
I eat when I'm sad
I eat when I'm mellow
I eat when I'm mad
I eat when there's something good on TV
I eat when there's something bothering me.
I eat just to celebrate, eat to have fun
I eat when relaxing and eat on the run!
I eat when I am bored, or have lots to do
Any excuse and I'm eating for two!
But one thing I know that will help me feel great
Is eating the right thing to help me lose weight.



Lots of Love,
Fat Girl
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment